Wednesday, December 17, 2008

*Gratitude*

I am so embarrassed to say this but I sometimes forget how blessed I truly am! I sometimes overlook the simple things in life when really those are the things I need to be grateful for. I am not proud to say that sometimes i complain about the stupidest things. However the joys of being human is the process of learning & being humbled!

This past Tuesday night Denny (CeCe & their three boys) DeAnna, Rhonda and I made our yearly Christmas visit to the Utah Valley Coalition center. What an amazing experience this is. This being our third year volunteering and helping out, I thought for sure the feelings would not be so hard to digest.... boy was I wrong!

At the center we work in groups: A few of us putting food onto a tray, the others washing dishes and the others serving the trays to those that come in and sit down. For the second year in a row I was able to serve the food to those that came in. And for the second year in a row my eyes were opened and my heart was humbled.

A single dad bringing in his 4 year old daughter, Man/Wife & 5 kids, older gentleman, women... Every type of person you can imagine came in for a hot meal. I was touched by all of these individuals that were so grateful and were thanking us for bringing them food to their table. However there was one individual that stuck out and that won't leave my mind. He was a younger man- decent dressed- clean- about not couldn't be older than 28 came walking in about 20 mins before the doors were shut. He sat down smiled at me, as i took the tray to him, the words that he said to me really got me. "Thank you Thank you for the food. I just walked an hour to get here. I was worried that I wouldn't make it". I said you are so welcome. I'm glad you made it! As I was walking away, I may have felt a tear or two in my eyes but quickly wiped it away. After he was done with his meal, he got up and thanked us again. Walked to the window and thanked everyone that had dished up the tray. It wasn't until the drive home that I really started to feel gratitude. It's amazing experiences like this that I get the chance to witness that allow me to grow and really reflect on life.

There are so many things I have gratitude for. So many people in my life I need to thank and so many life experiences that have touched my heart in the most amazing ways!

I love this life and the hardships, trials and experiences it brings! I also love the opportunity to serve those people in need at Christmas time! I love this tradition Denny has started and has allowed me to partake in!

Thank you Denny & CeCe! These short few hours of service last forever in my heart!

1 comments:

Deez Nutz said...

I am really grateful Ro and I had the chance to do this for another year. We really enjoy spending a few hours with our family to serve people in need. We are really lucky to have such a great family. You, Den & his family...we work damn well together! Love you bunches seister!